The church of St. Mary the Virgin, Farthingstone is mostly 13th century and is a building of local ironstone in the Gothic style, consisting of a clerestoried nave, south porch and a western tower, with pinnacles, containing five bells and a clock. The font is 14th century and is of plain stone. It was thoroughly restored and reseated in 1852. In 1874 a vestry was added and the chancel restored. More restoration work was done in 1929 at a cost of nearly £5000 and Mr Agnew, Chairman of the Directors of ‘Punch Magazine', gave much of this.
The measurements of the chancel are 29' x 15' and those of the nave 45' x 17'6". There were North and south aisles before the building was restored and no central Nave passage. Where the organ is now was originally the small Chapel of St Anne, mother of the Virgin Mary.